Conceptual Reference Model

Site Search


Current Page:
Agenda of 9th FRBR - CIDOC CRM Harmonization meeting

Who we are
WIKI Forum
Official Release
What's New?

Ninth FRBR - CIDOC CRM Harmonization meeting


Agenda for the upcoming 9th FRBR - CIDOC CRM Harmonization meeting in Paris, France.

Meeting Date:

14-16 March 2007

Meeting Place:

On March 14: C2RMF (Centre de Recherche et de Restauration des Musées de France), site Carrousel, Palais du Louvre – Porte des Lions, 14 Quai François Mitterrand, 75001 Paris (click here for a map)

On March 15-16: Bibliothèque nationale de France, site Cardinal de Richelieu, 58 rue de Richelieu, 75002 Paris (click here for a map)

Organized By:

Bibliothèque nationale de France

March 14, 2007: general theme: "To do list from 8th meeting and FRBR –FRAD"


  • examination of scope notes and examples suggested for newly declared classes and properties: F50 to F53 and R63-64, and the modifications suggested for R11
  • problems with CRM superproperties (see appendix item 1)
  • examination of what remains to be done from List of actions from Meeting #8 (see appendix item 2 )- presentation of function graphs
13:00-14:00 Lunch at the Louvre cafeteria


Discussion about how to integrate FRAD into FRBRoo (beginning) (see appendix item 3. summary for discussion about FRAD )

March 15, 2007: general theme: "Performing Arts"

9:30-10:00 Summary of Performing Arts discussion from October 06 (see reference no 8)

IRCAM’s presentation about "The production process in FRBRoo"


 "About recording work", R.  Smiraglia (see reference no 10)

10:45-13:15 Discussion about performing arts on the basis of IRCAM’s presentation
13:15-14:15 Lunch in restaurants in the BnF area
14:15-17:30 Open for conclusions on performing arts and integration of FRAD
March 16, 2007: general theme: "Final conclusions and core FRBRoo"

Final conclusion on FRAD integration


How to define a "core FRBRoo"?


Lunch in restaurants in the BnF area

14:15-16:00 Continuation on FRBRoo and future actions


Item 1
Comments on "FRBR, object-oriented definition and mapping to the FRBRER, (version 0.7.0)"
Page 21:  

"CLP57 should have number of parts (should be number of parts of): E60 Number"

There is no inverse property when the range is a primitive value

Page 41:  
  Discuss if R2 should be related with R13
Page 42:  

R3 should be inversed and should be subproperty of R9


Page 43:

  R7 is representative manifestation singleton for (has representative manifestation singleton)
  Domain: F4 Manifestation Singleton
  Range: F2 Expression

Superproperty of:

  Subproperty of: P128 carries (is carried by)



(we reverse the above property)


Page 49


R25: in order to be P37 subproperty of R25 we made F42 Object identifier isA F14 Identifier


Page 50


Problem with  P16: It couldn’t be super class of R26, because "Appellation" is not "Thing"
 is the "Appellation" man made thing or can we use any "persistent item" in the narrow sense of using?


Page 55


Problem with  P106: It couldn’t be super class of R51, because "Appellation" is not "Information Object"


Page 56


Problem with  P33: It couldn’t be super class of R52, because "Attribute assignment" is not "Modification"


Page 59


Problem with  R63: It couldn’t be super class of R62, because  ???


Issue 1

  R13, R33, R2 should goes to Work and not to Complex Work,  to be discussed

Issue 2


The lack of a class for “Publication Expression Creation”   generates a fuzzy situation

Item 2
Reminder: List of actions from Meeting #8:

Steve Stead to elaborate a complete proposal for E42 Object Identifier and F14 Identifier.
Patrick Le Bœuf to provide draft scope notes for F50, F51, F52, R63 and R64, along with suggestions for better names and practical examples from the BnF’s databases in MARC format and EAD.
Trond Aalberg to provide examples for performing arts as well.
Mika Nyman and Richard Smiraglia to draft a proposal about the scope of F53 Recording Work (should cover taking photographs of museum objects as well).
Patrick Le Bœuf to redraft the scope note for R11 is composed of (forms part of) in order to make it clear that we distinguish between component relationship and inclusion.
Allen Renear to draft by the end of November an intended scope for approval of FRBRoo.
Martin Doerr to draft a current practical scope for FRBRoo.
Pat Riva and Patrick Le Bœuf to draft an extended scope for FRBRoo.
Trond Aalberg to draft the placement of the semantics of the attributes as part of a set of recommendations.
Martin Doerr to draft a text of definitions of the entities in FRBR as part of a set of recommendations.
Richard Smiraglia to give the IFLA FRSAR Working Group a tutorial on CIDOC CRM and aboutness relationships at one point during their meeting in December 8-15.
Trond Aalberg to examine what in FRAD can be mapped trivially to FRBRoo and what deserves discussion in our next meeting.
Maja Žumer and Pat Riva to compare scope notes between CIDOC CRM, FRBRoo, and FRAD.
Martin Doerr and Patrick Le Bœuf to provide graphics of FRBRoo in function groups.

Item 3
Discussion about FRAD and FRBR
  1. Bibliographic entities are summarizing the things in FRBR
  2. We have to look at  "Corporate body" ~ E74?
  3. we have to check the definitions given by FRANAR with the CRM definitions
  4. we have to see, if we have to introduce  "family"  to FRBRoo
  5. the FRANAR is divided in two groups -  the entity group and the function group. We decided to talk about the function group first
  6. Name : is an appellation of any of the entities. They have three kinds of appellation
  7. Control Access Points : is superset of identifiers
  8. Martin said that control access point might be a relation not an entity or a generalization of identifier
  9. Rules and Agency are already modelled
  10. is it a library issue to model "persona" ? is it in Corporate body? This is incompatible with CRM Person which does not include persona. We should propose a CRM compatible for "persona".
  11. we have to do a 3-step checking
    • check the definitions with CRM
    • the block of concept, object to check with IFLA group
    • to make mapping exercise for the rest
  12. do we want to apply a structure to conceptual object?
  13. is there something between information object, conceptual object and work?
  14. we have to examine 3 properties
    • structurally composition
    • aboutness
    • ability to be carried
  15. do we need to make more ontological distinction in FRBR between Information object  Conceptual object and Work?
  16. Martin said t hat he has the impression that is something between Work and Information Object


  1. FRBR, object-oriented definition and mapping to the FRBR-ER, (version 0.7.0)
  2. Functional  Requirements for Authority Records, a Conceptual Model, IFLA UBCIM Working Group on Fuctional Requirements and Numbering of Authority Records (FRANAR)
  3. NISO Z39.91-200x  Collection Description Specification, Draft standard for trial use: Period November 1, 2005 – October 31,2006
  4. "FRBR Tutorial": slides by Martin Doerr
  5. "Graphical representation": slides by Martin Doerr
  6. "Performing Arts as a field for conceptual modelling": slides by Patrick Le Boeuf
  7. "About Material and Immaterial Creation": slides by martin Doerr
  8. "Perfoming Arts added value chain": slides by Martin Doerr and Chryssoula Bekiari
  9. For SIS-users: The updated version of CIDOC - FRBR
  10. "Notes on Recording Work": Richard Smiraglia
  11. Participating organizations

Printer friendly version of the agenda

 Site hosted by FORTH
Last Updated: 07-03-2007